Rosie Cooper MP

Working hard for the people of West Lancashire

04/03/10 West Lancs MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk

Rosie Cooper MP has urged West Lancashire residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research shows that 88% of households in the North West are putting themselves at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm. Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour taste and smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm.

Rosie is supporting the ‘Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed!’ campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer. The campaign is also backed by Kirstie Allsopp, of Channel 4’s Location, Location, Location.

Rosie Cooper MP, said: “Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. I urge every householder in West Lancashire to make sure that they have an alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a professional.”

“I would like to see a requirement for all new homes to be fitted with an alarm and for landlords to provide an alarm before they can receive their annual gas safety certificate.”

Christine McGourty, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign spokesperson, said: “We regularly hear about members of the general public whose lives have been saved by a Carbon Monoxide alarm – it’s the only way to detect this killer. You can buy an alarm from around £15 at DIY stores, supermarkets, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. A number of retailers will also be offering special discounts in support of our campaign this January and we’re delighted that Rosie Cooper has added her weight to the campaign.”

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign recommends four simple steps to keep your household safe:

·         Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm which should be marked with the ‘EN50291′ safety standard

·         Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered professional

·         Don’t block ventilation and get chimneys swept at least once a year

·         Learn about the danger signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at www.co-bealarmed.co.uk

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.