West Lancashire MP Rosie Cooper met with Citizens Advice at a reception in the Houses of Parliament. The event showcased an interactive map of West Lancashire, and reported to MP Rosie the issues that people contacting Citizens Advice are facing.
It shows that Citizens Advice helped 2,833 people in the area with 7,858 issues. The top three problems people needed assistance with were: debt, benefits & tax credits, and employment.
According to its latest Impact Report, Citizens Advice helps to solve four in five of people’s problems when they ask for help. This reduces the number of people who turn to public services for support on welfare, health and housing issues.
For every £1 invested in the Citizens Advice service, the government and public services save £2 – amounting to £420 million last year.
West Lancashire MP Rosie Cooper said:
“Citizens Advice has been on the frontline helping people for the past 80 years which means they have incredible insight into the problems people face.
“I’m always interested to hear how local organisations like Citizens Advice are helping my constituents and with what issues, and considering which issues constituents report to me and seek my advice on also, and how we can tackle the root causes and not just assisting each individual in resolving their case.
“Citizens Advice – with its army of volunteers – is tremendous at providing support for people living in West Lancashire. I will continue to work closely with them for the benefit of residents.”
Dame Gillian Guy, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“It was great that Rosie Cooper MP was able to join us. Our interactive maps highlight the issues we see on the ground in West Lancashire.
“The right advice and support can transform lives. Citizens Advice helps people find a way forward.
“It’s important people can access free and impartial advice when they need it, whether face to face, over the phone or online. We’re pleased to work with MPs to help them solve their constituents’ problems and address local and national issues.”
Citizens Advice provides free, confidential and impartial advice to people in West Lancashire. The national website provides advice online, over email and via web chat at www.citizensadvice.org.uk
For more information contact: 03000 231 080
Out-of-hours contact number: 0845 099 0107
We give people the knowledge and confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem.
- Citizens Advice is made up of the national charity Citizens Advice; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Our network of charities offers impartial advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.
- We helped 2.7 million people face to face, over the phone, by email and webchat in 2018-19. And we had 29 million visits to our website. For full service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,600 service outlets across England and Wales.
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 1133 or 0808 223 1144 for Welsh language speakers.